Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Approaches

One of the most important things an intern, or a senior medical student for that matter, must understand if they are going to participate in the operating room is anatomy. I was standing in the operating room today staring into a surgical wound and I begin to think 1-2 years into the future when I will be the one doing a significant portion of cases. It's amazing the background knowledge that goes into being a surgeon. That said, I have decided that, as I begin preparing for cases and studying approaches I was going to make study guides. They are fairly simple, but they point out most of the important anatomical points that an intern/medical student might get pimped on. My source is Hoppenfeld's Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics, 3rd Ed. There is a newer edition. I should also mention that there are many other ortho exposure books available. This one just happens to be the one that I prefer.

I'll post each approach separately. I'll take feedback if you would like to give it, and I'll continue to post these as I make them. These would make good quick study guides that one could print and stick in their pocket before cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment