Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Empty Operating Room

Have you ever been in a large basketball arena when it's empty and only some of the lights are on, or sat in an empty church, or maybe stood on stage in an empty auditorium?  There's something magical about these places when they are empty.  When the TV lights are off and no one else is around, you get some time to anticipate the next performance, to place yourself into the spotlight and dream about making the winning three point shot or hitting the high note to bring the crowd to their feet.

At the end of the day today, I was walking through the OR hallway.  Most of the cases had ended for the day, the rooms were empty and had been setup for tomorrow's cases.  I couldn't help but walk into a room and sit down for a minute, to dream about my opportunity to perform for the crowd.  It's hard to dream about the end of the game before the national anthem has even been played, but it's important to have practiced that game winning free throw before the score is tied with 1 second left and you're at the line to win the game.  

OK, I'm done with the ridiculous sports analogies.  I was just stuck in the moment on my way through the OR and thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment