Saturday, March 27, 2010

I Chose the Right Field

As I rotate on non-orthopaedic rotations, I am constantly confirming my decision to choose orthopaedics.  I know that I'm rotating through these services for a reason, and each patient that I take care of provides an important learning opportunity.  That said, at the end of a rough month on a general surgery or non-surgical rotation, I'll take ten tough orthopaedics days over these other rotations any day.

There are many people that I have taken care of over the last six months whom I will remember for the rest of my career.  Not to mention, many lessons that I will keep with me.  In addition to the patients, off service rotations are important because they give you an insight into how other services operate.  You get an opportunity to meet the residents and attendings on other services and develop an understanding of what is and what is not an appropriate reason to request consultation.  I also enjoy getting  into the operating room with other surgeons.  There, I have been able to pick up a variety of important surgical techniques that will make me a better surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment