Saturday, February 6, 2010

Nice Patients/Families Make My Day

I had the pleasure of taking care of a very nice older lady the other day.  She fell while walking to her car and fractured a few bones.  Despite her injuries, she was always in a very good mood.  When her family arrived, the nurse called and asked  if I could come and talk to them and explain her injuries.  I printed out some pictures and went to the room.

I started with showing the pictures and explaining each injury and our treatment plan for that injury.  I answered all of their questions and then we spent a few minutes talking about the surrounding area.  I made some suggestions about where the family could have some dinner and then went back to my work.

Everyone in the room was nice; smiling and laughing during our conversation.  No one complained about the hospital or griped that their family member wasn't in a private room.  When I told them to have the nurse page me if they had any other questions, or needed anything that I could help with, everyone said thanks.

Although most of the interactions that I have with patients are not unpleasant, not many are as pleasant as this particular encounter.  Maybe I'm not good enough at lightening the mood?  I don't know.  I do know, however, that something as simple as a good (or bad) conversation with a patient can have a significant effect on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment