Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Will my insurance pay?

I have a Sirius radio in my car. The other day, I was listening to the plastic surgery show on Doctor Radio as I was driving on a road trip. Throughout the course of the show, people kept calling to ask about different procedures. The most common question was, "Will my insurance pay for this?"

Although I don't advocate that insurance cover cosmetic surgery, the question gave me an idea.

I have been working on my fitness levels, and I have started working out. When I decided to do this, I thought that I would just buy a workout video (I bought the Power 90 workout by Beach Body) and would go to town. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. This is an intense workout series and there is more expense than just the videos. At any rate, as part of my preventative health care, I think that I should be able to use my insurance premium to pay for a gym membership or hire a trainer to get me going. I don't go to the doctor very often, if ever at all, outside of perhaps a yearly exam and annual vision screening. This would be an excellent way to utilize all of the money that I poor into the insurance company's bottom line.

Obesity is becoming an epidemic in our country. A quick Google search showed this CDC website on obesity. The graph animation on the website is an interesting visual to show how quickly obesity in our country is spreading. Perhaps this would be a way to help lower the cost of health care overall...

No comments:

Post a Comment